In November and December, we’ll be running full day seminars on how to reinvigorate the teaching of writing in schools. This is a hot topic given the 2012 results for NAPLAN More…
- Using grammar to help students read and write (more...)
- Teaching reading in the middle years: beyond code breaking (more…)
- Essential grammar knowledge and practice for all teacher (more…)
- Powerful grammar: how to help students achieve higher grades
- Teaching writing for academic success across the curriculum
- Teaching literature in upper primary and lower secondary
- QCST Writing Task: seven secrets good student must know before September (more…)
Download PDF flyer: Wordsmart Workshop brochure 2012-2013
Contact the English Teacher Guru now: Lindsay@englishteacherguru.com
Who are they for?
Workshops can be tailored for teachers in primary and secondary schools, and in all subject areas. The QCST Writing Task workshop is also designed for delivery to students.
Where and when can these be delivered?
In your school at a time that suits you. These will also be run as standalone workshops in various venues throughout Queensland.
What others have said about Wordsmart Consulting seminars
I just wanted to thank you for standing up and reminding us all, at your recent seminar, that good quality creative teaching is what we all should be aiming for. In a world gone mad with NAPLAN, QCAR, QCATS, statistical data and competition it was like a breath of fresh air.
As a result of your reminder I planned a story unit to specifically teach the Year 10s the ‘in media res’ approach to short stories. So far the results are very encouraging.
Thank you for being the alternative reading in our world of pressure to perform. I loved it.
“Quickly moving, engaging, explained clearly and simply without too much jargon”
“Interesting, informative and well presented”
“Great refresher – I did the literacy training 2 years ago. Great links to NAPLAN – as I marked the writing last year and all the content covered will benefit children’s progress”
“Practical activities, concepts well explained, explicitly teaching topics”
“I liked that I could work with my peers to check for understanding”
“Useful links to QCS Test”
Loved “the opportunity to look at Traditional and Functional Grammar together…and the application of Functional Grammar and its ‘simplification’. It was presented in a user-friendly manner”.
What you get at a seminar
- Expert, practical tuition based on the latest research into English and literacy
- Quality venues – these have been upgraded from last year in response to participant feedback
- Full catering: tea and coffee on arrival; morning tea and lunch. In some cases, afternoon tea is also included
- Comprehensive booklet
- A CD containing electronic copies of most of the material used, including booklets and PowerPoint presentation
- The right to use materials for teaching and professional development in your own school (with appropriate acknowledgement)
- The chance to network and collaborate with other teachers
Ask the English Teacher Guru to work in your school
- run workshops for your school staff (one hour to full day)
- provide seminar follow-up
- help you improve the literacy teaching in your school
- write engaging, worthwhile units and programs for English and literacy
- run demonstration lessons
- provide on-site coaching while teachers are planning units and preparing resources.