Who is the guru?
A professional development provider and resource developer, Lindsay taught for 24 years in the State and Independent sectors, and had 17 years experience as a Head of English. Currently, he is also undertaking a PhD through the University of New England and is teaching pre-service teachers at the University of Queensland.
In addition to his work in schools, Lindsay has been extensively involved in curriculum development projects at both a state and national level, has had numerous articles published, and has presented many workshops, at local, state, national and international conferences. Working for various publishers and organisations, he has written curriculum activities for a range of books and videos, including the television series of Lockie Leonard (for the Australian Children’s Television Foundation), Gareth Hinds’s graphic novel of The Merchant of Venice, Odo Hirsch’s Darius Bell and the Glitter Pool and Darius Bell and the Crystal Bees, Worldshaker and Liberator by Richard Harland, Margo Lanagan’s short story collection Yellowcake, Against the Odds by Marjolijn Hof and Anna Fienberg’s latest, Louis Beside Himself .
Find out more by reading his curriculum vitae (Lindsay Williams CV Sep 2012).
The English Teacher Guru’s Commitment
Lindsay is committed to:
1. responding to the needs of schools, teachers and their students.
2. keeping teachers informed of important research and news about the teaching and assessment of English and curriculum literacies.
3. working collaboratively with teachers, building their capacity to improve the English and curriculum literacy outcomes of students.
4. working with schools to ensure clear communication with students and parents, especially about assessment expectations and academic achievement.
5. generating high quality, practical and theoretically sound curriculum literacy and English resources.
6. assisting schools to achieve genuine, long term change.
7. his own personal professional development so that we can ensure you receive the very best advice and service possible.
The English Teacher Guru aims to make it easier for teachers to provide the best possible English and curriculum literacy education for their students.
What does Lindsay value?
- The importance of English and literacy for the future success of our children and society
- Standard Australian English and its potential for rich variation
- Equity, access and fairness
- Respect for others
- Global and environmental education
- Care and concern for other people and the environment
- Integrity and honesty
- Intellectual rigour and lifelong learning
Lindsay has a passion for English and literature. Some of his favourite books include:
- The Iliad by Homer
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
- Long walk to freedom by Nelson Mandela
- Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
- Possession by A.S. Byatt
- Zero: the biography of a dangerous idea by Charles Siefe
- Ansel Adams at 100 by John Szarkowski
- The time traveller’s wife by Audrey Niffenegger
- Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest by Wade Davis
- An introduction to functional grammar by M.A.K. Halliday.
Lindsay is also very interested in the opportunities for writing and reading provided by digital technology; he loves his iPad and the Kindle app.